Thursday, April 12, 2012

My final thoughts

Two years ago I enrolled into the Marketing Diploma program at Humber College. At the start of the program I was completely undecided upon what I wanted my future career path to be. Now, nearly two years later and it’s hard to comprehend that my time at Humber is coming to an end. Within this blog I am going to share some of my final thoughts and experiences that I believe could be beneficial to future Humber students.

The transition from growing up in a small town in Northern Ontario to living and attending College in Toronto was one of the most difficult aspects to deal with. I never thought that I would face culture shock only three hours away from home. The entire experience has been extremely valuable. Not only have I developed a sound set of business and marketing skills, but I have networked and created an array of opportunities and strong contacts throughout various industries.

So what now?

Two years ago if you asked me what I wanted to do after college, I simply wouldn’t have been able to give you an answer. Now, I can tell you with ease that I want to work within Digital Marketing. However, I don’t want to start working just yet. A few months ago I began exploring my options for after I graduate. I thought about working, volunteering, and travelling and then I came across Humber’s transfer options that they hold with various Universities. As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was for me- Griffith University in Gold Coast, Australia. I immediately contacted KOM Consultants and sent in my application. In January of 2013, I will be living and going to school in Australia, working towards my Bachelor’s Degree. 

Whats next?

As you can imagine, the cost of continuing my studies overseas in Australia is fairly expensive. I spoke with a few of my teachers and reached out to some of the contacts that I met while at Humber. As of now, I have secured an internship and I have valuable leads for two possible jobs, all without ever looking at a job search website.

My advice

If I could offer one piece of advice for current or future Humber students it would be to GET INVOLVED AND NETWORK! Two years may seem like a long time but before you know it- it will be over. The professors at Humber have an immense amount of knowledge and contacts, the one thing that I learnt is that it never hurts to ask for help and advice! The key is to get involved; here are a few examples of how to make the most out of your Humber experience:

  •  Attend the events that the business school hosts and makes available to students such as: Grads Give Back, IAB Conferences, and Marketing Now
  • Join groups and teams such as: OCMC and Toastmasters.
  • Attend job fairs and information sessions
  • Pay attention to the Humber Student Federation- They host some amazing events.

Writing blogs and managing the social media for Marketing Humber has been a valuable learning experience. I would like to extend a very special thank you to Christina Clements and everyone else at the Humber College Business School for making this opportunity possible.

Before I sign off I would like to leave you with some proof that networking at Humber actually works. A few weeks ago Humber hosted the annual Grads Give Back event, the final speaker Steve Lorini offered students to apply for an internship with the radio station Z103.5 in Toronto. I spoke with Steve after the event and he shared some insight into the position and helped me set up an interview. Earlier this week I found out that I will be working on the Z103.5 Summer promotions street team!

So remember to get involved and network, but most importantly don’t be hesitant to ask for help!  

-Tim 

3 comments:

  1. Good job Tim!! I will miss reading your weekly blogs :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina ClementsApril 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM

    Tim, we thank you for your efforts in managing the social media for Humber OCMC and then for the Business Marketing program at Humber College. WELL DONE and the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete